Hiking the Narrows in Zion National Park: How It Helped Me Make Peace With Life
Some hikes are about reaching the destination.
Others are about the journey.
And then there's The Narrows in Zion National Park...
A hike that seems determined to remind you that life is a lot easier if you stop fighting the current.
If you've never heard of The Narrows, let me explain.
Imagine someone looked at a perfectly good hiking trail and said,
"You know what this trail needs? About knee-to-waist-deep water, slippery bowling-ball-sized rocks, towering canyon walls, and absolutely no dry feet."
Someone else replied,
"Perfect! Let's make it one of the most famous hikes in America."
Thankfully...
They did.
Because hiking The Narrows became one of the most unforgettable adventures of my life.
This Isn't Your Average Hike
Most hikes involve dirt.
Maybe a few rocks.
Some switchbacks.
You know... normal hiking things.
The Narrows laughs at those ideas.
Your hiking trail...
is the Virgin River.
You're literally hiking in the river.
Every single step.
Sometimes ankle deep.
Sometimes knee deep.
Sometimes even deeper depending on conditions.
The towering sandstone canyon walls rise thousands of feet above you while the river twists through one of the most beautiful landscapes you'll ever see.
It's impossible not to feel small.
In the very best way.
The Adventure Begins...
With Fashion
Before you even begin hiking, you get fitted with equipment.
Not climbing gear.
Not ropes.
Not crampons.
No...
You get outfitted with giant waterproof canyoneering boots, thick neoprene socks, and chest waders that make you look like you're about to rescue fish instead of hike.
I looked in the mirror and thought,
"Well... this certainly isn't making the cover of GQ."
But about fifteen minutes into the hike...
I understood why.
Whoever invented those waders deserves a medal.
Never Underestimate the Walking Stick
I'll admit it.
When they handed me a walking stick, I thought,
"That's nice... but I'm in decent shape."
About three steps into the river...
I realized that walking stick wasn't an accessory.
It was my new best friend.
Every rock beneath the water seems specifically designed to test your balance.
Some wobble.
Some roll.
Some disappear beneath your feet just when you've committed your entire body weight.
That walking stick becomes your third leg.
Your safety blanket.
Your emotional support hiking equipment.
By the end of the day I was considering naming mine.
Then...
I Dropped My Phone
You know that moment when your heart completely stops?
Mine came when I reached for my phone...
...and watched it disappear into the river.
Time froze.
My brain immediately began calculating how much all my photos, notes, contacts, and memories were worth.
Fortunately...
I had placed it inside a waterproof bag.
Unfortunately...
That waterproof bag had decided it wanted to go sightseeing without me.
So there I was.
Walking upstream.
Scanning underwater.
Trying to remember exactly where I'd been.
I'm pretty sure everyone walking past thought I had lost my mind.
Instead...
I'd simply lost my phone.
Thankfully, after retracing my steps, there it was.
Safe.
Dry.
Waiting patiently for me to stop panicking.
Sometimes life reminds us that preparation really does matter.
And waterproof bags are worth every penny.
The Beauty Is Almost Impossible to Describe
Pictures don't do The Narrows justice.
Videos don't either.
It's something you have to experience.
The canyon walls seem to glow.
The sunlight filters down in beams.
The river sparkles.
Every bend reveals another view that's somehow even more spectacular than the last.
There were moments when I simply stopped walking.
Not because I was tired.
Because I wanted to absorb it all.
Nature has an incredible way of reminding us how magnificent the world really is.
The Energy of the Hikers
One thing I've written about often on the Make Peace With Life blog is the energy of people.
The Narrows had plenty of it.
Everyone was smiling.
Laughing.
Helping strangers across deeper sections.
Offering advice.
Cheering each other on.
Nobody cared what your career was.
Nobody asked how much money you made.
Nobody cared what kind of car you drove.
We were all just people trying not to fall into the river.
There's something beautifully equal about that.
Adventure has a way of stripping away all the labels we carry in everyday life.
Out there...
We were simply hikers.
The River Has a Lesson
From a metaphysical perspective, I couldn't help but notice something.
The river never argues with the rocks.
It simply flows around them.
Maybe there's a lesson there.
How much energy do we waste trying to force life to go exactly the way we planned?
Sometimes peace isn't found by removing the obstacles.
Sometimes it's found by learning how to flow around them.
The Virgin River has been teaching that lesson for millions of years.
It just took me one afternoon to finally listen.
Every Step Required Presence
You couldn't daydream in The Narrows.
If you weren't paying attention...
Splash.
You'd find yourself unexpectedly testing the waterproof capabilities of those fancy waders.
Every step demanded focus.
Every movement required awareness.
In today's world, that's surprisingly rare.
For several hours, I wasn't thinking about emails.
Deadlines.
Social media.
Or tomorrow's to-do list.
I was simply present.
Sometimes that's the greatest gift an adventure can offer.
The Perfect Ending
After hours of hiking through cold water, climbing over rocks, laughing at myself, and soaking in one of America's greatest natural wonders...
There was only one logical destination.
Zion Canyon Brew Pub.
Nothing tastes quite as good as a burger after you've earned it.
Well...
Maybe a cold beer after hiking miles through a river.
Actually...
The combination was pretty close to perfection.
Great food.
A refreshing drink.
A body pleasantly exhausted.
And a heart completely full.
Sometimes happiness is surprisingly simple.
Making Peace With Life
The Narrows taught me more than how to hike through a river.
It reminded me that life isn't always about dry paths and easy footing.
Sometimes it's cold.
Sometimes it's slippery.
Sometimes you lose your phone.
Sometimes you have to retrace your steps.
Sometimes your walking stick becomes your greatest ally.
And sometimes...
The most beautiful experiences require getting a little uncomfortable first.
Would I do The Narrows again?
Absolutely.
Without hesitation.
In fact, I'd probably hug my walking stick before we even started.
Because The Narrows isn't just one of the most unique hikes in America.
It's one of those rare places that quietly changes something inside you.
It reminds you to slow down.
To stay present.
To appreciate nature.
To laugh at yourself.
To trust the journey even when you can't see the next step beneath the water.
And maybe...
Just maybe...
That's what making peace with life really looks like.
Sometimes...
You don't find peace at the end of the trail.
You find it one careful step at a time... right in the middle of the river.




No comments:
Post a Comment